180 ml of maple syrup
80 ml tahini
140 ml applesauce
240 g carrots, coarsely grated
210 g flour
¾ teaspoon baking soda
1¼ teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
a pinch of salt
80 g cream cheese warmed to at room temperature
20 g unsalted butter, warmed to room temperature
80 g powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 180° C. Grease a 20 cm/9 in loaf tin with a little vegetable oil.
2. In a large bowl mix together maple syrup and tahini until smooth. Mix in apple sauce.
3. Next, add grated carrots.
4. Place a sieve over the bowl containing the wet ingredients and sift all dry ingredients through it. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ones thoroughly incorporated.
5. Transfer the batter to the baking tin. Bake for 45 mins or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely before removing it from the tin.
7. Add cream cheese and butter to a bowl and mix until smooth with a mixer or by hand. Add powdered sugar, a pinch of salt, and vanilla extract. Mix at low speed, then increase for 3 minutes until completely combined and smooth. Frosting should be soft, but not runny. If too thin, add more confectioner's sugar, a little milk if too thick, a pinch of salt if too sweet.
8. Ice the top of the cake and stud with nuts.