Carrot cake with Vermont Maple frosting
180 ml of Dark Vermont Maple syrup
80 ml tahini
140 ml applesauce
240 g carrots, coarsely grated
210 g flour
¾ teaspoon baking soda
1¼ teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
a pinch of salt
80 g cream cheese at room temperature
20 g unsalted butter at room temperature
80 g powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 180° C. Grease a 20 cm/9 in loaf tin with a little vegetable oil.
- In a large bowl mix together maple syrup and tahini until smooth. Mix in apple sauce.
- Next, add grated carrots.
- Place a sieve over the bowl containing the wet ingredients and sift all dry ingredients through it. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet until incorporated.
- Transfer the batter to the baking tin. Bake for 45 mins or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely before removing it from the tin.
- Add cream cheese and butter to a bowl and beat until smooth with a mixer or by hand. Add powdered sugar, a pinch of salt, and vanilla extract. Mix at low speed, then increase for 3 minutes until completely combined and smooth. Frosting should be soft, but not runny. If too thin, add more confectioner's sugar, a little milk if too thick, a pinch of salt if too sweet.
- Ice the top of the cake and stud with nuts.